Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana is a maternity benefit program. Matru Vandana Yojana was previously known as the Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana. This Yojana was originally launched in 2010 and then renamed in 2017. The government of India runs this scheme and the Ministry of Women and Child Development implements this scheme.
Undernutrition continues to adversely affect the majority of women in India In India every third woman is undernourished and every second woman is anemic An undernourished mother almost inevitably gives birth to a low birth weight baby. Because the effects of poor nutrition are irreversible, they extend throughout the life cycle.
Since economic and social woes often accompany pregnancy, many women work until the day before delivery in order to provide for their families. Also, many women resume work soon after they give birth despite their bodies being incapable of doing so, which prevents them from being able to exclusively breastfeed during the first six months of their child’s life.
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) is implemented with requirements of the National Food Security Act, 2013 in all the districts of the country.
PM Matru Vandana Yojana Objectives:
- The objective of Matru Vandana Yojana is to provide compensation in form of cash so that the woman can take good rest before and after her first delivery of the living child.
- The cash benefits provided to the woman will help to improve her health and also improve her behavior amongst Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW& LM).
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana Apply:
Applicants who wish to apply for the Matru Vandana Yojana must have to complete the registration within 150 days of the Last Menstrual Period. An applicant can apply for the scheme with the online registration process or offline registration process.
Matru Vandana Yojana Offline Apply:
Step 1: The eligible women need to register for the scheme at the nearest Anganwadi Centre ( AWC ) or at an approved (government) health facility
Step 2: The beneficiary can claim the 2nd installment of the scheme after 6 months of pregnancy by submitting the duly filled Form 1B along with the MCP card copy and a copy of acknowledgment slip Form 1A.
Step 3: For claiming 3rd installment, the beneficiary needs to submit the following documents along with the Form 1C is-
- Duly filled 1C form
- Copy of childbirth registration
- ID proof
- MCP card showing that the child has received the first cycle of immunization of CG, OPV, DPT, and Hepatitis
- Acknowledgment slip of Form 1A and Form 1B
- Aadhaar card
Aadhaar Card in all states is acceptable except for Jammu & Kashmir, Assam, and Meghalaya states.
Matru Vandana Yojana Online Apply:
Step 1: Visit PMMVY Official Website and log in with the details
Step 2: Click on the ‘New Beneficiary’ tab for registering under the scheme.
Step 3: Fill in the necessary details as per the Beneficiary Registration Form (Application Form 1A).
Step 4: After 6 months of pregnancy, again login into the PMMVY portal and click on the ‘Second Installment’ tab and fill Form 1B.
Step 5: After the birth of the child and the completion of the child’s first cycle of immunization apply for the 3rd installment by filling Form 1C.
For details check out the PM Matru Vandana Yojana User Manual.
- Duly filled Application Form 1A
- Copy of MCP card
- Copy of Identity Proof
- Copy of Bank/Post Office Account Passbook
- An undertaking/consent duly signed by the applicant and her husband
Matru Vandana Yojana Target Beneficiaries:
- All Pregnant Women (PW) and Lactating Mothers (LM)
- Excluding women who are in regular employment with the Central Government or the State Governments
- All eligible Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers who have their pregnancy on or after 01.01.2017 for their first child in the family
- The date and stage of pregnancy for a beneficiary would be counted with respect to her Last Menstrual Period date as mentioned in the MCP card
- A beneficiary is eligible to receive benefits under the scheme only once
- In case of miscarriage/ stillbirth, the beneficiary would be eligible to claim the remaining installment (s) in event of any future pregnancy
- In the case of infant mortality, the beneficiary will not be eligible for claiming benefits under the scheme if she has already received all the installments before
- Pregnant and Lactating AWWs/ AWHs/ ASHA may also avail of the benefits under the PMMVY if they fulfill the scheme conditions
PM Matru Vandana Yojana Benefits:
- The beneficiary will get a cash incentive of Rs 5000 in three installments
- The first installment of Rs 1000, avail after early registration of pregnancy at the Anganwadi Centre (AWC)
- The second installment of Rs 2000, avail after six months of pregnancy on receiving at least one ante-natal check-up (ANC)
- The third installment of Rs 2000/, avail after childbirth registration, and the child has received the first cycle of BCG, OPV, DPT, and Hepatitis – B, or its equivalent.
- The eligible beneficiaries will also receive the incentive under the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) so that an average woman gets Rs 6000.
Beneficiaries can download Form1A, From1B, Form1C from the PM Matru Vandana Yojana Portal or can get the forms offline free of cost.
Here, we cover a small piece of information about PM Matru Vandana Yojana. For the application process and to know more about the PM Matru Vandana Scheme and other government schemes you can visit the PMMVY Yojana Official Website. Stay tuned to get notified about the other Government schemes.